Website for Amit (Mike) Rana, M.D.'s practice
Contact & Location
18 Plains Road West #2 (in back of building, may park anywhere that doesn't have license plate sign)
Fax: 1888-763-5181 (direct to M.D.) or 905-521-2775 (reception desk)
Email Dr. Rana (note, health questions will not be answered by email):
This email is for administrative/follow up questions pertaining to your file, but cannot be used to inquire about physician instructions, a diagnosis or management of a health concern. Any health concerns/ requests should be pursued in-office. Questions or requests violating this term of use will be rejected with an automated message.
Turn-around time for email replies will be approximately 2-3 days during peak office periods, urgent health requests should be seen in person in our clinic, or an urgent care/ER centre.
By communicating further with Dr. Rana via email, the patient or user acknowledges and accepts the following:
Risks of using email
The physician offers patients the opportunity to communicate by email. Transmitting patient information poses several risks of which the patient should be aware. The patient should not agree to communicate with the physician via email without understanding and accepting these risks. The risks include, but are not limited to, the following:
• The privacy and security of email communication cannot be guaranteed.
• Employers and online services may have a legal right to inspect and keep emails that pass through their system.
• Email is easier to falsify than handwritten or signed hard copies. In addition, it is impossible to verify the true identity of the sender, or to ensure that only the recipient can read the email once it has been sent.
• Emails can introduce viruses into a computer system, and potentially damage or disrupt the computer.
• Email can be forwarded, intercepted, circulated, stored or even changed without the knowledge or permission of the physician or the patient. Email senders can easily misaddress an email, resulting in it being sent to many unintended and unknown recipients.
• Email is indelible. Even after the sender and recipient have deleted their copies of the email, back-up copies may exist on a computer or in cyberspace.
• Use of email to discuss sensitive information can increase the risk of such information being disclosed to third parties.
• Email can be used as evidence in court.
• The physician uses encryption software as a security mechanism for email communications.
• If the patient chooses not to use encryption software when communicating with the physician, they do so with the full understanding that this increases the risk of violation of the patient’s privacy.
Conditions of using email
The physician will use reasonable means to protect the security and confidentiality of email information sent and received. However, because of the risks outlined above, the physician cannot guarantee the security and confidentiality of email communication. Thus, patients must consent to the use of email for patient information. Consent to the use of email includes agreement with the following conditions:
• Emails to or from the patient concerning diagnosis or treatment may be printed in full and made part of the patient’s medical record. Because they are part of the medical record, other individuals authorized to access the medical record, such as staff and billing personnel, will have access to those emails.
• The physician may forward emails internally to the physician’s staff and to those involved, as necessary, for diagnosis, treatment, reimbursement, healthcare operations, and other handling. The physician will not, however, forward emails to independent third parties without the patient’s prior written consent, except as authorized or required by law.
• Although the physician will endeavour to read and respond promptly to an email from the patient, the physician cannot guarantee that any particular email will be read and responded to within any particular period of time. Thus, the patient should not use email for medical emergencies or other time-sensitive matters.
Copyright 2014 Amit Rana Medicine Professional Corporation